Monday, November 3, 2008

Waiting for an Angel


After reading Waiting for an Angel by Helon Habila it really got me thinking about the title of the book and its relation to the story. Africa's political unrest, poverty and disease has left the African people's hope for peace and a rescue in an angel. With so many problems happening in this country and literally not being able to trust anyone in power because of the fear of what they may do with that power the African people are left to walk in the shadows in silence or face death.


It seems that everything we've read so far has brought me into a situation to make me stop and think about my own freedoms and how I, and many others like me, take for granted the fact that I live in a free country. A country where I can practice whatever religion I feel necessecary, a country where I have the right to free speech, a country where I can elect government officials and a country where I have choices and options. I don't have to be a silenced shadow if I don't choose it, I have the right, the choice, and the ability to be and do whatever it is I want to, unlike those in Africa.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

Great idea about the title -- I wish we had talked about that in class. It also relates to the section of the novel where the guy is waiting for the angel of death that will appear to him just before he dies, according to the fortune teller.