Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ancestor Stones

When I first went to read Ancestor Stones I was a little afraid because Allen had said we would want to keep our finger in the family tree pages of the book. When he said that I thought he meant that the book would just introduce character after character and I would be completely lost. I was afraid that I was going to once again be lost completely! However, the book really didn't end up the way I had anticipated. Although at first I was confused about the fact that the narrator of each chapter was a different person I quickly grasped what was going on.

From what I've grasped thus far the book is laying the foundation for how different each families lives are and also, how differently each of the narrators view the lives of themselves, their family, and the other wives' families. This book is definitely one that I have been able to read and actually enjoy, rather than put my effort into understand what is going on, which is a plus!! I can't wait to read more!

2 comments:

Peter Larr said...

oh man Betsy good for you. I still flip back to the first 5 chapters so I know who's life I am in at the moment.

Allen Webb said...

I am glad you are enjoying the novel -- I think it is beautifully written, as well as telling an amazing history from the point of view of women.