Thursday, September 18, 2008

King Leopold's Ghost

  I've found this book a little harder to grasp than the other book we've read so far.  I've had to follow the book very closely to completely understand what is going on and I've caught myself having to go back and reread paragraphs and sentences just to make sure I understand something.  One of the things that I find to be interesting is the way the different countries gained control over Africa.  Although this is not new information to me, the book brought it back to my attention, the countries basically tricked villages and kingdoms to hand over their territory.  They made them sign treaties that rulers couldn't even understand offering them clothe for their entire kingdom.  I find it so interesting that colonizers went in and just expected the Africans to take up their customs and their ways just because.  I'm just waiting for the story to continue to unfold and for European countries to continue doing what is best for themselves and not a country who has just as much right to govern itself as Europe to govern it's original countries.

2 comments:

Peter Larr said...

What stuck with me about the tricking of tribes was that the one got a worse deal than the signing over of Manhattan (roughly $24 of goods)!

Allen Webb said...

It does remind one of what happened in America.